Denham Court Mansion is a historic Grade II listed English manor house of predominantly eighteenth century origin, although part of the building is over 700 years old. Once the home to the Bowyer family, the house is situated in a magnificent riverside setting surrounded by landscaped gardens and 226 acres of wooded parkland.
The history of the manor house can be traced back to the earliest Saxon settlement and the estate was often the centre of exciting historical events in its varied history.
One of the famous legends has it that at one stage during the English Civil War, the future Charles II was hidden in the house disguised as a scullion boy, as he fled parliamentarian pursuers.
Denham Court passed through many hands, belonging at one time to Eleanor, wife of Edward II. After her death the manor was given to Westminster Abbey and remained in church hands until the dissolution of the monasteries under Henry VIII. The estate was confiscated and sold to Sir Edmund Peckham, a supporter of the reformation. Persecution of the Catholic faith was a feature of the reign of Elizabeth I and the house, which had been inherited by Sir Edmund's son, became known as a refuge for Jesuit priests and once again confiscated by the crown.
Following the Restoration in 1660, the house was extensively enlarged and improved; the poet Dryden was a frequent visitor, calling it 'one of the most delicious spots of ground in England .'
Denham Court only ceased to be a family home in 1935. In subsequent years the estate was intensively farmed and the house and gardens fell into decay.
Today, since Asahi Breweries Ltd of Japan bought and developed the land the house has been fully restored to its original glory, to become one of the finest clubhouses in England . All renovations have been undertaken with meticulous care to preserve the original fabric and character of this splendid example of English heritage and once again, the mansion recalls the grandeur of its 18th Century heyday.